Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The sauntering squirrel

Have you ever seen a squirrel walk? Not jump, not hop, not run; walk. I know it may not sound like the most amusing thing, and I certainly don't expect you to leave what you're doing to go look for a squirrel, but if you happen to spot a squirrel the next time you're outside, just watch.

I spotted a particularly awkward little fellow today gnawing at a nut, just a few feet from where I sat. He made eye contact, paused, looked at his nut and kept right on chewing. After nonchalantly tossing the now-empty shell aside, he began pursuing his next snack. Plopping down from the wall on which he had been perched, he began to walk about the yard; not in any hurry or caring that I was observing him with an obviously amused face (which I now realize probably entertained people passing me just as much as the squirrel entertained me).

He had a dainty jaunt to his step, waddling a bit as his hips teetered back and forth. It looked similar to when a cat has tape stuck to it's paw, that awkward tip-toe-quickly jig. Soon he remembered where he'd previously buried an acorn and began the process once more. When he had finished, he made his way back to the wall, hips swaying as his feet danced along.

The whole display lasted no more than two minutes, but that quirky squirrel brightened my day. After all, how often do you get to see a squirrel do a jig?

No comments: