Miscommunication=
Frustration=
Confusion=
Anger=
Pain.
In life, situations will inevitably arise when your words will be taken out of context... or put into a new context. Either way, those once innocent vowels and consonants will be warped in ways you never intended them to be. They will become misconstrued, misrepresented and misunderstood. The syllables once meant to convey one message will suddenly take a wrong turn, and all you'll want is to reign them in, swallow them and forever remove them from ever having been said. All that comes to mind right now is that childish and unsupported saying, "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me." Whomever thought of that obviously had no concept of how powerful words can be, and how much impact they can have. Words, especially when they are only spoken, have the infinite ability to create situations one would never think possible. They can put a spin on even the most carefully crafted scenario. They can destroy: friendships, marriages, trust, careers, reputations. All of the above. And the worst part is, they can continue to morph, constantly construing newer, more difficult situations to suck you down, pinning you until you scream, "UNCLE!" which may or may not help. Whether or not it alleviates your crisis, the fact that you end up screaming justifies the power of words even more, giving them yet another advantage over your good intentions. Your once-innocent conversation. Your attempted kindness.
From a young age, my mother always told me I had a problem thinking before speaking. The funny thing is, I did a lot of thinking before I spoke this time. And now all I can do is think: about the exact things I said, the inflection I gave to my words, the expressions I displayed...and the multiple interpretations that apparently could be wrought from my words. Those vowels and consonants. Those syllables. Those thieves.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment